What you can do to protect the Ozone Layer
Try to find out as much as you can about the problem from publications, schools or public libraries. The only way to mend the ozone hole is to stop the release of CFCs and other ozone depleting substances (ODS) into the atmosphere. European legislation aims to achieve this by phasing out ODS as soon as viable alternatives become available, and where no such alternatives are available, restricting the use of these substances as far as possible. However, there are a number of practical initiatives which can be taken at the individual level to help protect the ozone layer:
· Try to use products which are labelled "Ozone-Friendly"
· Ensure technicians repairing your refrigerator or air conditioner recover and recycle the old CFCs so they are not released into the atmosphere.
· Vehicle air conditioning units should regularly be checked for leaks.
· Ask about converting your car to a substitute refrigerant if the a/c system needs major repair
· Help start a refrigerant recovery and recycling program in your area if none already exists.
· Replace halon fire extinguishers with alternatives (e.g. carbon dioxide or foam).
· Suggest school activities to increase awareness of the problem and to initiate local action.